Thursday, January 23, 2014

Russians in 54mm II, All the King's Men

Not only did I make a gaming mat on this last 3 day weekend, I got a bit further into my Russian musketeers for All the King's Men (in "54mm").

I started work on 3 units of infantry. We're going with Apsheronskiy, Observation Corp 1st Musketeers, and an as of yet undetermined Grenadier unit with bearskin hats.
Picture just to give the idea of "grenadiers" and bearskin hats; these guys are British I believe.

The plan is to speed paint:
1) Base with 1" steel washers (can get 100 of them at any hardware store for less than $9).
2) Base coat with Army Painter "red" spray colored primer. Pretty much all Russian SYW infantry wore the same uniform with slight differences. Red is the color.
3) Block paint details like hats, shoes, muskets, canteens, cartridge cases... mostly blacks, browns, whites, copper/brass.
4) Paint bases green... or flock them. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
5) "Dip" or quick shade them all.
6) ??
7) Profit

As I've already stated, I had some work to do on my "crouchers".


I sprayed down the 3 units (of 12 figs each) with the AP red. That step went well and was easy. I let that dry for 24 hours and started in on the blocking. First flesh for faces and hands, then black for headgear and boots.

Base-coated with Army Painter red primer.
Same, different figs and different angle.

Apsheronskiy with red gaiters

Observation Corp 1st Musketeers with black "riding" boots.

As of yet un-designated grenadier unit, they will get white gaiters.

Next will be white paint on edges of tricorn hats and bands above knees for boots and red gaiters and full up for white gaitered troops. I'll, probably, do eyes on these guys too as they are big enough for that. After white I will do brown on canteens, back packs, and musket furniture. Lastly will be metallics and detail out officers.

Russian troops wore mostly red, as stated above, and that is "summer" dress for them. "Winter" dress they'd add a green coat with red turnouts. I'm debating adding those. Many do add them even though most folks that base a Russian SYW paint job off Kunersdorf which took place in August 1759... summer... but, aesthetically all red is boring. I kind of just want to get these guys out on the table. I might do one with green coats. I will be adding an Austrian unit too so that will add some color to my side.

Right now I'm just getting the main colors out so what I actually do is still up in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment