Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Finished Saga Vikings part 2 (and the Val'Serkers)

I started basing my vikings. What I like to do is a 2 layer effect - sand, let dry, fine grade grass/green flocking, let dry. I prepped the first layer and watered down my glue (Elmer's Glue-All, what I normally use) in a 1:1 mix. I brushed it on and dipped it in sand and set it aside to give it a day to dry.

I started to get de-lamination issues on my bases. I looked it up on the netz and found nothing. The above process has worked fine in the past. Here is what was different from the last times I did it:
1) I used Army Painter spray color primer - which I just lauded as an excellent product. I normally prime in white brush-on primer. The fender washers I use as a base are galvanized (?? maybe ??).
2) I mixed the Elmer's glue 1:1, I usually use less water.

Not able to figure it all out I tore off the sand flocking bases on the worst of them (6 of the 16) which was easy to do and tried to cover up the best of them (4) with the green flock phase. Here's what the worst of them looks like now:


Anyways, I secured the best of them with a drop of Zap-a-Gap because it fits the name of the product. I finished my basing procedure and they came out good.

I then quick-shaded the minis. I used some Minwax walnut poly stuff. It shades just fine like the much more pricey Army Painter Quickshade product, which I own, but at 1/3rd the price. AP QS is fine and all at $30 but I'm pretty dang happy with my easily got at the hardware store Minwax that cost me around $8. Plus I can better multitask the Minwax for it's true purpose if need be.

I brushed on my Minwax and let it dry for 2 DAYS. Yes, 48 hours. I've had issues with tackiness before after 24 hours with both Minwax and Army Painter QS. 48 hours seems the magic number. When dry it leaves a very good protective coat and a gloss. If this were 54mm guys I'd leave that glossy coat for  that "toy soldier" look but I like a nice dull matte for my 25mm guys. I just wantto reiterate though that this step leaves a good protective layer on your figs. To me it makes them feel more solid and "sealed in".
You can see the gloss here, nice and sealed and handle-able.

I sprayed them down with some matte to dull them up and let them sit for another day and VOILA! I have some minis ready for the table.

On the side I also wanted to make up a Viking Berserker unit, as per the rules they are a hearthguard unit of 4 minis designated as "berserkers" (less armor, more attack dice - fire and forget type unit). I did not want to buy more minis though so I looked at what I had laying around. I have a painted Reaper metal Valkyrie, an unpainted Reaper "viking girl", and an unpainted Reaper Bones Valkyrie. These would be my 'serkers or Val'Serkers. At our table historical accuracy is an option.
Older pic, base coated, it is finished now with a ink shading and highlights painted on. Was an NPC in one of my Pathfinder games.
"Viking Girl" - typical fantasy fur bikini thing. Was in my unpainted stock. Had it for years.

I was short one of the Reaper Bones Valkyries but I knew where I could get one. I went to Guardian Games and bought a second one for $2.50. 

I mounted these on my ubiquitous 1" fender washer, sprayed them in Army Painter "platemail silver" colored primer, did my base-coats, got tired and decided to leave them mostly silver, quick shaded them in the above Minwax-walnut... bang! Ready to play. I'm going to do some grass on them though. All I got to do now is quick shade the one in the fur bikini and I've got 1 point of Val'Serkers. 




No comments:

Post a Comment