Thursday, January 16, 2014

All The King's Men Russian army - starting out

I also play All The King's Men - 54mm scale wargaming.
All The King's Men - Toy Soldier Wargaming

Spencer and I play the Seven Years War era, mid 18th century, leads up to American Revolutionary War. The buy in is simple - any tricorned figs in 1/32 or 54mm - ish scale will do. It's all about color scheme. Here is my main source of info on the history and uniforms:
Kronoskaf - Seven Years War nerd-wiki

I started off with buying the $9 Battle of Yorktown ARW figures:
Amazon link - Battle of Yorktown figures
Two bags enabled me to put up 4 infantry units (12 figures per) and one skirmisher unit (6 figures) plus enough left overs for casualties and maybe some artillery crews.

Spencer already has enough figures to run a game, 4 infantry units, 2 cavalry units, 2 artillery, and a skirmisher company per side. We've been playing with his guys but I finally decided to paint up my own unit. For ease of painting I went with Russian - all units look the same with red waistcoats, red pants, green coats in winter, black tricorns. Flags and footwear would be the signifiers. All I got to do is mount on bases, base-coat in red, brush on details like flesh/hats/muskets, shade and protective coat. I will not give them a dull coat as a shiny toy soldier looks pretty cool. The end goal is for these to look like a shiny toy soldier.

My first unit to get painted will be my Russian main line infantry unit Apsheronskiy. These guys are cool. Same uniform as the rest but they get to wear red gaiters as they distinguished themselves in a battle by holding the center of their line. They were "standing knee deep in blood".

The first thing I needed to overcome (Did I mention yet that I truly believe in the adage "you get what you pay for" so I knew I would have things to overcome putting these guys together?) was the crouching guys' lower knee was totally out of spec thus making the crouching musket guy not able to stand up right at all without some kind of support. I wadded up some Milliput and put them under the knees of my crouchers.
 The one with the green, in the middle, was an experiment with another product that is much more expensive than the Millput stuff in brown.

I let those sit for a bit and dry, over night.Next day I popped them off and put a drop of Zap-a-Gap into the proper areas and put the fig back on and, as of today, I have a solid 54mm crouching musketeer troop mini.

Next phase is to base-coat them in Army Painter red colored primer.

No comments:

Post a Comment