Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Finished Saga Vikings, 2 points and some new warlords

Finished some more Viking minis for Saga this weekend, I "fast painted" them. Started with the remnants of my Wargames Factory boxes I bought last spring. Had enough parts left over from my first batch of 6 points of Viking warband. Had enough parts for 16 warriors (spears and shields, various armor). This would be 2 more points worth of viking figs for Saga.

Glued on arms, heads, and 1" steel washer and gave it all a good layer of Army Painter base-coat (colored primer) "leather brown". 24 hour dry time. I did not apply weapons or shields yet as I want to paint those separately. 


Next was to give it all a good basic painting. dark grey for metal helmets and chain mail byrnies. Laid some sand down on the base. painted flesh and beards. Did some color on some tunics and pants. 

Painted shields and spears separately. In the pic below you can see I laid the down on a stick and secured them with poster tack. I brush primed them in "khaki" primer. I then painted them individually. I learned it was easier to do it this way from my last batch. I tried some various shield patterns and screwed it up enough to not vary much from just "halving" the shields with 2 colors. When the base-coat below dried (24 hours) I flipped them all and did a dark brown on the other side so it would appear to be plain wood.


Not pictured are how I painted the spears. I just stuck some poster tack onto a stick, stuck spears in it head first, painted the hafts medium brown, couple hours of dry time, flipped them, painted spear heads gray.

When shields and spears were dry I glued them on to the figs using Tamiya light cement. It works fine going through paint and primer.

Once I got the main colors applied, and spears and shields in hands I sat them down to settle for a few days.

In those 2 days I worked on 2 warlords - a generic and Official Gripping Beast brand Ragnar Lothbrok:
"generic" - We can name him Ulfgier

Ragnar and his (poorly pictured) hairy breeches

Stay tuned, more to follow!



No comments:

Post a Comment