Monday, August 18, 2014

Three Day Weeekend - rehearsals, mini painting, some wargaming, and a cold.

This weekend was supposed to be a 4 day weekend for my family and I. We had planned to go up to Seattle and hit up the Viking Fair we went to last year when we came back from our vacation in Leavenworth, WA. This did not happen.

I had committed myself to The Telling: Oregon - a spoken word performance I am doing with 7 other vets in September. My weekends are now dedicated to rehearsals for this performance. Mini-vacation cancelled. I still took today (Monday) off.

Plus, my wife and child are getting over colds. Somehow, I never caught the full virus. Feeling lucky, I'm usually the sick one in the family.

Sunday is a five hour group rehearsal and it was our first where all the cast were present and our stories we are telling of our military experience fully realized. Our stories are rough, quite emotional and very powerful. It was also emotionally draining.  I was pretty pooped by the time I got home yesterday and needed some quiet.

It's nice to have a day with barely any plans. What DID I do? Painted minis of course. Here's what I did today:

Egil Skalligrimsson, not speed-painting this one. Getting close to done, just need high-edge highlights.

Harald Hardrada, same as Egil above. Three color highlighting going on here.





For contrast, the Gripping Beast Harald mini in it's three stages so far.

My wife Gretchen is in a gaming group that is playing a Lahnkmar campaign. She is a noble elven knight. She got a mini for the game as well as one for Angelique, her buddy, that is playing an elven rogue type charged with making sure the elven knight comes to no harm. I had them primed this morning and here they are currently:

Initial base-coats. An obvious parallel to Fafnrd and The Grey Mauser. 

Final base-coats down, the rogue decided to go blond instead to match the knight.

It's almost dinner and I have blogged enough. I'm off to water what's left of my flowers.






No comments:

Post a Comment