Friday, August 8, 2014

Saga - current painting projects: Normans and Varangians

Just a quick one here - finished up 8 Norman infantry, speed-painted of course. This will fill out my Norman Faction Ranks to 7 points. Many tournaments want you to have 7 points, 1 point being put aside as a sideboard.

These Normans are from Old Glory, "Heavy Norman Infantry". I could also use them as Flemish Mercenaries which I do not have the rule-set for right now.

Old Glory Heavy Norman Infantry 25mm. Mounted on 1" steel washers.

Base coat is Army Painter Platemail.

"Dipped" (literally) in Army Painter Quickshade Dark Tone.

Hand-Painted shields. I'm no pro. Don't drink too much coffee before you do that. 

Next series are the bare beginnings of  Hero of the Viking Age Harald Hardrada and his bodyguard of 12 Varangian Guardsmen. Harald is the Gripping Beast model. The Varangians are Old Glory Viking Command 25mm minis.
Harald Hardrada re-based on some rocks. He was already a head taller than the Old Glories so I said screw it, let's make him grand.

Harald and some of his Varangians.

Old Glory Viking Command as Varangians. Mounted on 1" steel washers.

Closer look.
I ordered a pack of OG Viking Command as they have some utility use as opposed to the OG Varangians they have available. Harald can have up to 12 Varangians and they, in turn, can be armed with either Dane Axe or standard. As per the Saga rules Dane Axes improve hitting but lower armor. As is the legend with Old Glory it's just hard to see the sculpt details... trust me they are good. Rather "old school" as opposed to more modern miniatures but I think they look great and with my discount for being in the "Old Glory Army" are quite affordable. 

By the end of the year I plan to also be fielding Pagan Rus and Rus Princes factions and hope to be able to supplement them with some Steppe Rider mercenaries. I'm pretty much planned out for the rest of 2014!

WASSAIL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment