Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Surviving PDX Snowpacolypse 2014

It's never as bad as it sounds on TV. It can get bad though. We get snow once per 2 years on average here so we aren't used to it. Our streets are very convex due to the rain and the need for good drainage. Portland is home to many ex-pats of other cities, some of which are cities that get very little snow. We're also very fond of our leisure time here, so we take extra leisure time when we can get it. We like to sit in a cozy place and read books, comics, surf the net and watch movies while sipping coco and eating sweets (see also drink whiskey and eat meat).

On top of that add schools closing on just hearing the word "snow" so, those of us with kids, should try to be home for them as they are stuck home.

Anyways we just got hit with 3 different winter storm fronts since Thursday. It's all 43 degrees, gray, and slushy out there now but since Thursday we have had:
1) Blustering wind storm from The Gorge (east) and snow from the west.
2) 6" - 12" accumulation in a 24 hour period.
3) Freezing rain.
4) Rain.
5) 1/4" layer of ice on everything.
6) Below freezing temps until Monday.
This last bit of weather drama has not been seen in such a combo in decades. We all survived though and on my few ventures to the outside world this weekend I did not see one mohawked and chapped road warrior trying to steal my gasoline.

I did not have to use my AK, today was a good day.
-Ice Cube lyrics

I did have to go to the local grocery store 3 times though, that kind of sucked. Wednesday night I went knowing we might get snow by the weekend. Thursday, left work at 12 noon, I went as I had some extra time and got some coffee, oatmeal, cookies, and some of those fake firelogs.... which were almost out, I had gotten one of the last 2. It was madness Thursday. Again, after the Wife got off work on Friday I met her at the grocery store, got more firelogs and firewood and toilet paper. I refused to go on Saturday as we were stocked and prepped.

Yes, I am a prepper/survivalist/whatever you want to call it. I'm currently president of the local Oregon chapter of Zombie Squad - we educate and outreach in the realm of prepping. I am not all special about it like the people you typically see portrayed on TV and Doomsday Preppers. I do not beleive in a fantastical "doomsday" or polar shifting or that FEMA wants us all dead. Quite frankly I find that to be utter bullshit and people who believe that stuff concern me more than a financial collapse. I know we can have a bad day though so I teach people to be ready to deal with a bad day. Be ready for some troubles but don't be creepy about it. Just like a gamer nerd should not go into social situations talking about his 12th level ranger character.

Little scenarios like this are great to take notes on and learn from. My big lesson this go around was better use of my fireplace. Need to stock up on those fake logs and get more seasoned firewood. I live in a small apartment so do not have the space for cords of wood but I can stand to get more than what I have now. In my situation I like the fake logs as one will put out some heat and burn for 2-3 hours saving me some space as it'll take me 2-3 arm-sized logs to do the same with seasoned wood.

As it was this weekend I had enough wood to warm the den for 24 hours if power went out.

On Thursday, hours after the snow started, the grocery store was 100% out of seasoned firewood and, as I mentioned, had 2 fake fire logs left. I bought one and a lady bought the other. We both laughed. Also running low was fresh meat, mostly steaks and pork. Plenty of chicken and fish.That's all I really saw though, I was in there and out in 20 minutes Oreos, milk, and fire log in hand.

I could not find my tire chains. Not a major concern as I didn't need to go anywhere and the only day I really needed them was Sunday but I need to find or replace those. Again, these things are a use it once every 1-2 years thing. I do always pack them in the truck for any winter woods adventures but I have never had to use them in snowy woods yet. Speaking of things for the back of the truck - a shovel and hand broom/brush are nice things to add when the snow is falling as well as some weight if you have a truck.

Infinitely useful, and one of the best "winter gear" buys I've made in my life, are shoe traction devices. I have these:
Yak Traxx


Picture from Amazon

I bought mine locally from an outdoor store in 2004. I always forget I have them until I need them. I store the gear in a basket of "winter gear" I have on my bedroom shelf - they sit among some heavy wool boot socks, extra gloves, a wool hood, some wool pants and suspenders, my heavier long underwear. I whooped them out for this weekend and put them on my rubber boots.

Yesterday, I had elected to stay in from work as it was still a cross between freezing rain and rain. Our power was flickering and I did not want to leave my kid alone in the apartment if the power went out. My wife had to be at work at 6am, she is a barista, and was concerned about the layers of ice and her having to walk on it. I took the Yak Traxx off my rubber boots and fit them onto her shoes. They fit great (I am a size 13 shoe, she is a women's size 7) and enabled her to get to work on ice with little issue.

I have worn them outdoors for a few miles of hiking in snow and frozen slush. Held up great but I'd only use them that way if I had to (I did). I am saving some pennies now to get some sturdier ones for woods use... or some snow shoes. Neither are a high priority.

Another thing I did this Snowpocalypse I have not done in the past was went out once per day to check on my truck. I would make sure I could open it and start it (doors got frozen shut on Saturday). I also cleared the windshield of ice and snow and cleared the areas around my tires. I did this in case there was an emergency and I would not have to spend 20-30 minutes clearing ice off the truck. Someday I will have a garage.

BTW - I have a bug out bag at work. Nothing serious, just same basics in a small back pack:
Tucked in a little cubby under my desk.
Before I left work early on Thursday afternoon I grabbed from it:
1) metal water bottle
2) Cliff bars
3) Wool socks
4) extra hooded mid-layer
I already had a wool cap and gloves in my daily pack I carry which usually consists of daily basics like a hat and gloves, some comic books, lunch, etc... stuff one takes to work. I left work at 12 noon and my usually 30-45 minute bus ride was an hour and 45 minutes. I could have walked it. 50 minutes of that time was waiting at a bus stop exposed to the wind and snow. I was glad to have the wool socks on and the extra layer between my t-shirt and wool sweater.

No comments:

Post a Comment