Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Quickshade (quickly shading) minis

This is old hat to many grognards and wargamers - a quick short cut ot painting your army is to quickly shade it with some wood stain. I have no idea the history of doing such things but I learned about it this year (2013). Some are against it and consider it cheating, for others this is the only way they can get an army on the table and not have them be unpainted. Myself, I like ot use it when I've got to put out a good amount of minis. For instance:

If I need to paint one miniature that may be  used as a Boss or a player character I'll give it a good go at old school painting. Layers and shading and all. Well... more like wash and highlight.

If I need to put out 6 guys in chainmail with crossbows, I'll speedpaint. Pick a few colors and:
1) Base with appropriate sized base.
2) Spray a base/primer coat.
3) Flock base with sand (optional)
4) Paint flesh, clothes, outer things.
5) "Dip" in quick sahde medium of choice.
6) Flock with grass (optional)

I've turned over 8 minis in a 24 hour period (minus drying time for quick shade which is 1 or 2 days). Here's one:

 
 
There's even a specialized product called Army Painter Quickshade:


You can get it anywhere and it works great. That crossbow dude above? Army Painter Quicksade "dark tone". I've seen it on the net for $17 a can (then add some shipping to it) and $30 at my friendly local hobby/game shop. I'm comfortable with spending an extra $3 to support my FLG/HS. They work hard and deserve some purchases.

That said, cheap-skate tip: Minwax Polyshade works the same and is, generally, less than $10 a can and you can get it at your local hardware store, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes... what ever. Works fine, though some say you must mix it with some mineral spirits. It is a bit thicker than the Army Painter Quickshade. I've used it straight out of the can and it has worked fabulously. The "thickness" of it is a boon too as it seems to put a good protective coat on your plastic or metal mini.

Color comparison, what has worked for me:
Minwax Poly "Pecan" = light
Minwax Poly "Walnut" = strong
Minwax Poly "Mahogany" = dark

"Dip" is a dubious term. You are instructed to actually dip your mini in the can. It's messy. I brush it on instead.

All these products dry glossy so be ready to dull it up with your dulling product of your choice. I use a matte spray or some Vallejo acrylic dull coat. I have used Testors Dullcote product (brush on) and it's been iffy at best. I have no idea why it's not working for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment