Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Going to OryCon this weekend

Not that I am a big con-goer guy, I go to them when I can but it's not imparative I go, I will be at OryCon this weekend.

First and foremost I will be representing Zombie Squad Oregon (ZSC011). I am president of the chapter and am on the "Practical Survival of the Apocalypse" panel Saturday afternoon. Also we have a fan table and manning that will be me, my wife Gretchen, ZSC011 vice president Nate, media officer Tifni, and Financial Officer Jane. Also in attendence for us will be varying members of ZSC011. Further, we are hosting s small room party Saturday night. On top of all that we are holding a raffle, funds will be donated to one of the OryCon scholarships, prize being a backpack and some bug out bag goodies.

Adding more to my plate (and thus other ZSC011 officers) I will be paneling at 2 other panels - Comic book and Movies Panel and Geekanon - gamer geek lifestyle panel. It's a long story how I got on those. Jist of it: I filled out a panelist interest survey, they used that to volunteer me on 3 panels. It's all good and I am honored to have been considered for the other 2 panels. I'm just some shlub... a fan... a consumer. The others on the panel are creators and known people in the industry.

After all that it's back to work on Monday, Veteran's Day, and a bunch of "thank you for your services" and back patting... which I don't care much for. Oh well, it's how it is for some of us vets and if that makes people feel better than so be it.

My fantasy at the con is to find a great deal on some gaming stuff that I want or could need in the dealer's room. One time at a comic con, one of them small ones at the Memorial Coloseum, I found two boxes of GW Lord of the Rings figures - Riders of Rohim, orcs with sword and shield, orcs with long spears, goblins, Gondorian soldiers - and the dealer was letting them go for $16 a box. I'm still using some of these minis on my gaming table today. I had also found some Elvgrin pin up reprints and a box of Bettie Page trading cards for cheap. This was back in 2002 and the only time I ever found such deals at a con of any kind.

Anyways, I should also see a lot of old-timey friends and acquantices there so looking forward to the weekend.

In other news - finished my Saga Warlord and 3 points of hearthguard - Vikings!!!:

A-frame viking longhouse I made and some wattle fencing.

No comments:

Post a Comment