Friday, December 26, 2014

Historical Games Day at Guardian - Welsh kill Viks and Feast for Crows

Day after Christmas! Hope this post is finding you well and happy. Day off for me and I just ate a big bowl of oatmeal for breakfast as I've eating so much meat in the past few days I am sure that oatmeal will come in handy. It will be a chill morning here and then it's off to meet the in-laws again for lunch/dinner.

Some of the minis-related gifts I got yesterday were a new Ottlight, a pin-vise to replace my old broke one (a GW I bought over 10 years ago), and $70 worth of gift certificate at the venerable Guardian Games. Good haul! I also got an Amazon gift card and am thinking it's time for some new Winsor Series 7 brushes. Maybe I'll upgrade to some Raphaels? Maybe I'm just not that awesome a painter?! Haha!

Also, my Old Glory order came early and my part of that (shared with Spencer) was a 30 pack of Norman Archers and my Viking Long Ship. Nice model that long ship - all resin and it comes with oars and a removable top deck.


Last Saturday was our December Historical Wargame meetup. Good turnout with a ton of guys coming up from Salem to visit us here in the Rose City. I was sold a bit more on some Bolt Action but the majority of the day was with Saga, one game was Spencer and I while the other was a 4-way Feat for Crows.

First Game - Welsh vs. Vikings 6-point, Clash of Warlords.(Spencer Welsh and Me Viking)
Welsh wins it after a Viking surrender.
If I had seen my own strategy earlier it'd been a different game. Instead I opened up my own flanks and met the Welsh in the center at a terrain feature. Duh.

See what I missed? Instead of turning my far left flank in I should have just hit his right flank hard and rolled in.

Hoping for a good flank attack of my own I just opened my own flank to the Welsh.
Welsh muster up on the hill and whittle me down with javelins.
 
It's a good victory for them as we get to the last round and I realize there is not much I can do to pull a win.


"Screw these curs! Let's get out of here."
Our Second Game was a Feast for Crows. Kyle (Anglo-Danes), Raven (Normans), Spencer (Welsh) and I (Vikings), 4 points each.

This would be our first time with this scenerio - main rule differences were:
Top of turn all players roll Saga Dice and place them. THEN we rolled to see who goes first.
Your kills are your points. Highest points at 6 turn wins.

The game opened up with The Normans coming down to my Vik side and scouting out the lines with his mounted warriors. I put my Old Men With Bows up to them and the Normans promptly pulled back. The Anglo-Danes formed up on the hills surrounding them and the Welsh took to the woods for cover.

The Normans shot at the Welsh while the Welsh drew in the Norman horsemen and ate them alive.

See all those Norman (unpainted) figures in the back? The dead.
Seeing the blood-shed the Viks decided to wait it out a bit and make some moves. Oh, except the Old Men With Bows - they took to the woods and started shooting at the Normans as they were in range. It would prove to be a brutal day for the Normans.

On the Vik left flank the Anglo-Danes were stirring but some Val'Serkers were there to deter anything too aggressive.

Meanwhile, the Welsh were doing tricksy Welsh things and sticking to the woods. Effective. 


The game went on like this - basically Welsh drawing weakened forces to his woods via "Taunt" and killing them for points. My Viks watched and, in the final round, had an opportunity to take some points via both Norman and Anglo-Dane. First, a final attack on the Norman Warlord from the woods and some Viking Warriors. I killed a crossbowmen and the Warlord.

Then, I turned on the Anglo-Danes and took some points there with an opening attack from my Val'Serkers (who all died and also gave points) and then finished with a charge from my Hearthguard and Warlord..

My turn ended with me ahead 15 points. The Welsh only had 9 but they still had a turn. Anglo-Danes went first and charged the Welsh in the woods and the Welsh countered and took those 6 points he needed and we tied the game 15 to 15. Damn Welsh.


Welp, it was a good and long day of wargaming last week. I'm going to get back to my painting this weekend and I hope you all do well and have fun. 2015 here we come.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment