Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Almost Christmas!

First, cross blogging here: >>D.D. Tinzeroes<<
Gaming buddy Spencer posted about his Welsh from Old Glory. Welsh Spearmen DA-21 is the code in the catalog. He's got them all painted up and even did some research for historical reasons (as did I when we were talking about it and I learned a bit about the Welsh, some blood of which flows through my veins).
Spencer's Welsh - Old Glory Welsh Spearmen DA-21
 Having played against these Welsh minis a few times - MAN! that is a tough faction to go up against. On top of  that Spencer knows how to play them. My advice? Hit them and hit them hard (if the scenario calls for that). With my Normans I range them to death... or try to at least. With my Vikings I try to just get up into their grill and just dice it out face to face. I've seen the Welsh javelins be both hot and cold. Then, you've got the mounted Welsh. My Norman Crossbows did well against that, what with a general +1 to attacks on top of mounted figures being -1 to armor vs. ranged.

Anyways, it's always fun to figure these things out. M-F I paint, Saturday I play! That's the life of a Neo-Grognard.

Anybody have some Xmas wishes? Like World Peace and stuff? I try to be more pragmatic. My family (Wife's side) is really into the gift-giving and it's kind of nice. We put out "wish lists" via Amazon and share them so we know what to get for each other. Being a husband I also have a duty to remember hints and the like throughout the year and I try. I'm not too good at that but I try. We'll see how it turns out this year. Being a step-daddy to a 13 year old girl is hard. She wants video games and to text her friends. I am not willing, anymore, to sustain that so I bought her some other fun things like a coat she said she wanted earlier this year (which she probably doesn't want anymore) and a cool cosplay sword from an anime character I don't know. 

My new tradition is to get my kid a "Solstice Gift" from Odin every year on Solstice. This is due to my pagan background in the past... if it matters to anyone I am an atheist now... and how I always wished I had someone in my life to gift for Solstice. So, I do it for my kid. Every Winter Solstice I will gift her a weapon or tool. She's 13 now so the "weapons" are foam cosplay weapons - 2 Xmas ago I got her a target bow, last year a cosplay Zelda/Link sword.


Don't worry, I am responsible and stuff. No rifle for her until I train her first. We did start her with a BB gun. At Trackers camp she learned to use a knife well and I keep up with that, Her first fix-blade knife is a Mora Clipper I had laying around. I have a lot of Mora knives laying around and a gear-dude like me likes to buy Moras.


I am wishing for some modeling tools. I would like some new files, a hobby vice, an Olite lamp, and I am hoping to pick up some new paint brushes on my own ... I am rather picky for such an amateur painter. I like the Winsor-Newton sable brushes which seem to be hard to find right now. Hrumph.

Non modeling things I'm wishing for are some of those fancy Duluth sweat/cargo pants, a Wustoff pairing knife, a good tri-stone sharpening system, maybe even a fishing pole and reel.

Next few days are filled with hanging out Xmas style too. This Wednesday The Family, my Dad, and I are going to the Portland International Raceway Lights. You pay a small fee and get to drive around on the track where they set up some fun Xmas lights. Then, Gretchen and I are going to see our friend in her play 5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche. Friday night is a night with our friends at Hollywood Babylon for an Xmas themed movie night were we will watch our favorite Rare Exports - a Finnish film with an old/new twist on Santa.



Saturday is a Holiday Party with my PDX Gamers group. Ugly sweaters... I'm hoping the one I ordered comes soon. That day is our monthly Historical Wargames Day at Guardian Games. Some Saga will get played. Sunday is aforementioned Solstice and dinner with another set of friends, this gang is called "The God Parents" as they are my kid's God Parents. Invariably, Odin will visit while we are away and leave my kid her new pink sword. 

The following week leading up to Xmas is work and prep for when my in-laws come in from Mississippi. I like those guys a lot.

My big gift to myself this year is the time off i will have between Xmas and New Year. With my time off, Hollidays, and weekends I will be off work for 11 days or some such. Maximizing my PTO! I really hope to kick up my feet and burn some logs in the fire place and, maybe, just play some video games or binge-watch something on Netflix. Maybe I 'll even paint something!


2 comments:

  1. Great looking, and versatile, troops from Spencer. I wish they had toys like that sword when I was growing up. Ah well, the wooden ones I made were too bad - they just broke after awhile. :)

    ReplyDelete