Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Why I Quit Game of Thrones *SPOILERS*

Yep, quit it. Yep, after Sansa got raped after her marriage to Ramsay Bolton and Reek watched.

Is this why? Not really, it's just the final straw for me. I have many reasons and this looked like a good time to jump off the wagon. Read more if you care to learn why.

I was first introduced to the books 11-12 years ago by a player in one of my long-term Dungeons and Dragons games. He thought I'd like it as it's a mix of historical and fantasy and really gritty. I read the first 3 books in the next few consecutive years and quit about 90% through the third book - A Storm of Swords. I gave up because I was not enjoying the story. It seemed like home work keeping up with the sheer amount of characters and the murder/rape/conniving/incest/pedophilia/back-stabbing THAT CONSTANTLY HAPPENS BY EVERYONE was getting tedious. I felt it stunted the story. I was skipping whole pages just to find I missed nothing.

I quit reading Anne Rice because of the constant homo-eroticism.

I quite Stephen King because of his tropes.

I quit a lot of stuff because it was too much, hit my limit.

Some things I have a limit on. I'm not against it, I just don't want buckets of it dumped on me. I'm sure there are a lot of things that I like buckets of but others cannot take more than a pint. That's fine, I want to live in a world like that.

The show Game of Thrones started and I loved it. They cut some of the characters which was fine as that was one of my issues with the books - too many names. They cut some of the story too, at this point there are some major divergences as to what characters are doing what. Sure, gotta' clean it up for TV. A lot of the murder/incest/pedo/back-stabbing was cut but you know what did not get cut? Raping people. Seems to me there's even more rape in the TV show than the books. I don't know, I did not study that.

In comparison, fair or not, The Walking Dead comic book has some sexual deviation and crime in it and some raping. The TV show? Not so much. Even when rape was a major plot-point in the comic it got taken out of the TV show and turned into "might have if he hadn't got killed first".

Game of Thrones is tedious, overtly heavy, and now boring to me. Just like the books. I thought it'd be different but I was wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, I used to pride myself on never quitting a book, regardless of how bad. As a wiser older person, I now quit when a book blows, only so much time to live and read.

    ReplyDelete