Saturday, January 31, 2015

Truth About Portland I

I've decided to write in regards to the Portlandia Myth. First, this is not going to be some bit about how cool we are and don't want outsiders. No. This is also not a "why I hate Portland"... I don't. Overall, I love this city and hope to stay here. I think other cities are cool too and I think people should stay in their cities if they want.

All I'm trying to do is shed light on what life, for me, is like here in Portland and try to shed light on some of these myths about us.

First, my "Portland" background:
My Mother is from Thailand.
My Father is from Texas, moved to Baker City, OR in the late 40s with his Parents Jack and Emily Jo Martin.
I was born in Los Angeles and we moved up here in the mid 70s; Vancouver, WA to be exact. I grew up in Vancouver, WA which is right across the Columbia River from Portland, OR.
My first "real job" (not parent dependent) was in Portland, OR as a bouncer at The Depot Nightclub. I was 17 and this was the summer before my senior year in high school.
I left to serve in the Navy 1989-1993.
I came back to Vancouver in 1993 and moved across the river to Portland in 1998.
Been an Oregon (and Portland) resident ever since.
--though--
Many people say they are "from Portland" but most live in the Metro Area which would be Hillsboro, Gresham, Clackamas, Vancouver, Beaverton, et al. The whole timie I have lived here since 1998, if one were to write me a letter and send it to me in the mail, the last line on my address would say "Portland, OR 972XX".
^^^ I have no qualms when people who do this, I just wanted to make things clear. When I was in the Navy I'd say I was from Portland, OR because of this:
Where are you from?
Vancouver, Washington.
Washington DC?
No.
Vancouver BC?
No... uhhhh... Portland, Oregon.
Ohhhh!!! My sister loves that place!

Since I'm talking about myself here I'd also like to add that the "weird" culture we are tagged with? I was a part of that in the 90s and into the 00s. I'm not famous or anything. I was just some industrial/metal/tribal kid in his 20s that did the lifestyle that goes with it. I don't do that anymore and, quite frankly, I don't drink and do the drugs like I used to. Many of the "cool" iconic places we hear about? I either worked there or was a customer there. Mostly just saw many bands and drank many cans and bottles of PBR at these places. I'm no originator or anything, I was just some guy that did that stuff. One of many, nothing special.

Myth I - Rain

Yep, it rains here. It rains lots of other places too. According to this link it rains more in many cities in the US than it does in Portland as a matter of fact. Check this out:
http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/US/average-annual-precipitation-by-city.php
Yeah, we're up there. We also have good marks for "days of rain" but we're not very spectacular. Above average at best.

One thing we do do well is "mist coating everything with a sheen of wet". It's like a light sprinkle that just sits there and keeps things wet. That breeds black mold. Yuck. It's a bitch to keep your car clean but it's not a deal breaker. You either clean your car a lot or let mold and green stuff grow on it.

We do have seasons though. Sometimes those seasons come about at the wrong time. Today (January 30, 2015) for example is going to be 55 degrees and sunny. Looking out side right now (afternoon) it's probably 49 and it's totoally clear and sunny out. Tomorrow might hit 60 degrees. Last Saturday I was volunteering at a community event and it was close to 60 degrees out. I had my truck window down and I was bumping my stereo... NPR, but bumping all the same.

Slightly out of the ordinary but no too out of the ordinary.

Note - one thing this did do? False Spring made all the bug eggs hatch and pollen come early. Portland, and the Willamette Valley in general IS famous for pollen. If you have hay fever, you will get crushed here. It's frikkin ridiculous. Right now it's Stuffed Nose and Fleas season.

We might get a last freeze in February, I've seen it snow in April. Vancouver got a tornado a few years back! Some times we get flooding in both the spring and fall.

99% of the time it's normal here. Most rain comes in the spring, March-April. Summer, "hot days" 80 degrees or more, goes July to September. We do get some 100 degree days every year. People cry.We also cry when it snows because, like 100 degree days, we only get a few of those per year. No need to spend millions on "snow contingencies". Just stay home and have some whiskey or coco.

The rain is not too bad here if you are ready for it. Use an umbrella, don't believe that whole "Real Portlanders don't use umbrellas!" BS. Do you know what that does? The rain coat will drain all over the person next to you on the bus. Rude. Use your umbrella.

Make sure you rake your leaves and clean your gutters. Mix of fall leaves and rain can wreck things and flood your basement and streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment