Sunday, September 28, 2014

September Historical Wargames Day atGuardian

One down, hoping for many more to go.

Though I did not get an opportunity to try any new games I was able to get 3 games of Saga in. I played a 4 point Clash of the Warlords, a 2nd one with my opponent being a first-timer named James being coached by Kyle, and a 3rd game against Kyle that was a my Normans vs. his Anglo-Danes in some Bridge Battle action.

The first game was a simple 4 point warm-up for Kyle and I. We were also in "demo-mode" explaining the game to some people watching, about 4 people.


By round 3 I was able to get my Val'Serkers into the tall grass and around the Anglo-Dane Warlord. The die roll was brutal and my Vikings took the game!

What makes the grass grow!?
A bunch of hits, that's what makes the grass grow.
The next game was against a new guy that wanted to try out the game. I switched out my Val'Serkers for some Hearthguard and we went 4 points. Kyle coached him. The game started strong but even both of us being the aggressor. I made my move losing 7 of 8 warriors but also doing some damage to the Anglo-Danes but they were able to react with my Warlord being exposed.

Uh-Oh! Viking Warlord left exposed.
Moving in for the kill...
... and the kill.

The 3rd game was my Normans with William the Bastard leading them versus Kyle's Anglo-Danes. We went 6 points and Battle at the Ford.








The Normans lost a close one and it was my mistake. I had the game won, 6th round I was looking at taking a knee and just waiting until the 7th and last round. I decided to get creative and take out the Anglo-Dane levy left on the AD side of the river. My plan did not work out as I had planned and the smart thing would've been to just hold back but I did not. This left William the Bastard open to a nice ranged attack from the remaining AD levy that indeed killed him. This took me down from the 11-10 lead to 8-10. Round 7 was a lot of non-action from either side as there was not much for the Normans to do with no warlord and across a river to the Anglo-Danes on the other side and out of range of the Norman archers and crossbows.

Edit:
We got done AT 6pm. I went home, had dinner with my wife and watched some TV. Then I got up and went to Dante's to see High on Fire with the afore-mentioned Kyle and his friend. Have you not seen High on Fire? You must, hardest working metal genius in the world.
Here's a pretty current set from April of this year.

1 comment: