Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Miniatures: Working on some terrain.

One thing that my new hobby of Wargaming has got me into is terrain making.

For role-playing (3.x D&D, Pathfinder, Savage Worlds) most terrain needs were fulfilled by vinyl mats and felt tip markers or, my favorite thing in the world, Flip Mats by Paizo.


I quickly discovered, after getting into All the Kings Men and Saga, that we'd need some "real" terrain pieces.

There was a learning curve there but we got it dialed in. I like a good MDF board base; I bought a sheet of the stuff from the local hardware store and had my friend, Mathew who has access to a water jet cutter, cut me some 5" and 8" round pieces.


These would become the basis (bases) of my terrain pieces. In Saga core rules you have 2 sizes of terrain - M (6" max) and L (12" max) so I thought 5" and 8" rounds would suffice. This fall I will be buying another sheet of MDF and will trade with Mathew to cut some 4"x6" and 7"x11" ovals maybe... will have to do math and find dimensions that will fully maximize the MDF sheet.

An example of how I would use a 5" terrain base. In Saga this would be a M-sized building.
This Labor Day I decided to make some new terrain pieces as it's been all Summer since I've made anything. I wanted a "stone formation" a la Stonehenge. I bought some stone outcropping pieces at the FLGS and put it all together:


I added some slate pieces like it was some kind of wall on the right side. I will be doing sand/grass mix on the outer edges for some contrast. Yes, that's five 5" bases glued together. Admittedly it's not my greatest endeavor but it will work for what I am trying to achieve - L-sized stone outcropping for Saga.

Next I worked on a tall grass/brushy area concept:


I glued down some fake fur remnants I had to make tall grass. Again, to make an oval I glued together three 5" bases. I'm flying by the seat of my pants here so I was not sure what to do about the fur-brown grass. I want it to look like tall reedy grass. I took a risk.


I took some light green spray paint and sprayed it directly down on the fur. I then took some Summer Yellow spray paint and sprayed it "up" from a low angle to high-light the fur. I think it worked. Now, I just need to flock the MDF parts with dirt and short grass and I think I've done it.



1 comment: