Monday, May 5, 2014

Non-gaming-centric, spring time, outdoors, working out, and going shooting

It's Spring!

My little urban garden is going strong. I have made a few salads from the greens already and also pulled a few smaller radishes. My snap peas are climbing like crazy up the trellis. The only real casualties are the chives. Not a lot going on there. The cilantro is meh too, maybe needs more sun than it's getting.

Looks like I'm getting that workbench for my birthday. Looking forward to that. Also going to go see the US Godzilla 2.0 coming out in a few weeks. I'm hoping it's good. My wife, kid, and I went to go see the original 1954 Gojira yesterday at the Hollywood Theater. 60 years!

If you are SPOILER sensitive - DO NOT watch this trailer. It's the Asian one and has a bunch of stuff in it not in the US trailer.

I've been working out at Hollywood Fitness. Going to get back into power-lifting like in the olden days when I was an athlete. I am woefully out of shape and overweight. My goals are to get a waist back under 40 and back to XL shirts. I've got some work to do and issues to tackle and it's something I've fought all my life.

So far I've found that Tuesday and Thursday are the best nights for me to get to the gym. I alternate between 2 workouts:
A
10-15 minutes on treadmill
bench press
2-3 auxiliary shoulder and upper back exercises
B
10-15 minutes on treadmill
squats
2-3 auxiliary leg, butt, hip, lower back exercises 

I'm working my way into a third day of working out, small steps. It's been 10 years.

Not going to do a lot of bushcrafting this year it seems. My time is getting tight and I need to concentrate on getting into better shape. I do plan on some car camping trips though. I'd still like to get some fishing in this year too, more than I did last year. If I get a chance I will be getting a custom knife by Helmforge:
Here is the knife he made for my friend Lars.

I went and did some range time with some old Zombie Squaders and invited a coworker and her brother with. She, after watching some The Walking Dead, was interested in learning the basics of firearms. We took her out and let her shoot a few kinds of pistols and rifles and she decided she wants to get a .22 rifle and get more training. If I'm asked I am going to suggest getting this:
We're looking at this, plus 3 extra mags (I think 5 mags is the number needed for decent training), a USGI canvas sling, a basic carrying case, a cleaning kit, ears and eye pro, and the ammo. If one is going to an Appleseed one should look at ghost ring sight options too... I am. All the above minus ghost ring sights is under $300 probably.

Personally I have the venerable Ruger 10/22, a "Sporter":
It's a damn good little rifle that needed a good break in period. I wasn't 100% happy until I had about 500 round through it. I bought it early 2008 and by the end of the year had it broke in good. I've added a GI sling and will be adding a Tech Sight ghost ring sight to it soon. I have over 12 rotary mags for it (the standard) and 2 of the good Steel Lipped 25 round mags. Those are great for messing around but I prefer the 10 rounders for any training or "precision" shooting. 

The difference, in my opinion, between the 10/22 and the 795 is that out of the box the Marlin 795 is a better rifle. I bought one for Gretchen in 2010 and I shot it before giving it to her and it was way more accurate and the sights were spot on. It was also about half the price at $149 ($179 out the door minus a $30 rebate). If one wants a rifle that very little needs to be added to (a sling is about all it needs) than the 795 is it. It even comes with lugs already installed for said sling. Magazines are $1 cheaper to boot.

This also got my wife and I some trigger time too. I did about 100 rounds from my Glock and Gretchen fired about 50 from her Taurus .38spl. Gretchen is getting good with that little pistol of hers and I am proud of her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment