Sunday, July 16, 2017

Works in Progress - Scots Covenanters, Modern SWAT, Paladin for D&D

After watching Wizards Friday night at The Hollywood Theater (see previous post) I had a pretty easy weekend with some free time... not so the next 2-3 weekends. So I took some time to try to wrap up some miniature projects.

First there is the slog, the thing I have been working on consistently for about a year now - English Civil War Scots Covenanters. I wanted a third foot regiment of pike and shotte, looking at 36 figures in 28mm. I bought a Warlord P&S infantry foot regiment box, added some Scottish bonnets to the order, and got to work in June.


Faces first!
Faces were based in a light brown. Then washed in Army Painter ink, Then heavily dry brushed in AP Barbarian flesh and highlighted in a a Vallejo Pale Flesh. 
I'm now on the last company of musketeers and looking forward to being done.  The big difference on these figures over the other 2 regiments I painted last year is they are Warlord plastics (as opposed to Old Glory metals) and I'm multi basing them over single based on 20mm squares.

The last year has been a haze of grey and blue paint!

Next for show and tell are some Old Glory SWAT figures I picked up a few years ago. Painting them for some modern (Osprey's Black Ops) gaming in the near future. These figures painted up really fast as the pallet is very simple. So much so I did not like the blue and black they originally were so I threw in some dark grey on armor plates and tactical harness and popped some red onto lights and scopes.


Not a lot of experience in modern bases so tried a gravel and cement look. 

Speaking of modern miniatures here is a female figure that I picked up from Hasslefree Miniatures a few years back. I like to have a stock of these in my storage trays. Not done and exercising my layering on a smaller scale as this mini is pretty tiny.


For my D&D game, the one where I play a Paladin, this is my "higher level" figure for my character. He did find a sunsword so I decided to portray that in the figure and took it as a cue to try out "reflection" effect on the armor of the miniature. I think I did OK my first time out but I'm definitely not there yet.





I like to have a lot of monster miniatures laying around. I use them, mostly, as tools to practice painting and modeling techniques. This "brain eater" (aka Grell from D&D mythology) I'm using as a study in layering with watered down paints. The brain part was base coated in purple. I then painted the brains in pink. Then I layered in a watered down red and the effect was pretty good I think.


I'm sure I'll let y'all know when I'm all done with painting Scots Covenanters! Have a good week or whatever and thanks for reading.


2 comments:

  1. Impressive array of work you've accomplished in such a short time, Gabe. I really like how you painted that "brain"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean. It's been awhile since I tried to do anything new in my painting skill-set so 2017 is the year I decided to try new techniques and for effects I've never felt competent enough to do before. Like one of my outdoor "dudes" says (Dave Cantebury) the only way for some of us to learn is to keep doing it until you feel you're not screwing it up.

      Delete