Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Saga Pagan Rus, Bolt Action Finns, Command and Colors

Just realized this morning I have not posted here in a bit. Real easy to not blog when you get busy with stuff and, before you know it, it's been weeks!

Been playing my Pagan Rus in Saga for a few games now. Not sure yet if I even like them or not. When they go off it tends to be a boring and dragged down game. When the game is fast and fun I'm usually dying.

The issue I'm seeing:
You have 2 "capabilities" - winter stuff that just shuts everyone down and you've some offensive abilities that favor Hearthguard as they are "better armor than opponent" dependent.

The thing is they don't mix. You can only use those melee capabilities if opponents are in range of you. If you use any winter abilities, they will not be close to you as you kept them from doing that.

I'm going to keep playing them, hopefully in multiple scenarios, and find their niche.

In the mean-time I've my Vikings and a 12 figure Deathstar of Hearthguards that are pretty effective. Been using bards too so fine-tuning that. Looking at adding some religious advisers this year.



Scots faction on the back-burner as I've 3 fully realized Saga Factions - Pagan Rus, Vikings, Normans - and am in no hurry to add a fourth.

Furthermore, looking at Hail Caesar (by Warlord Games). Going to creep a bit out of skirmish and into bigger stuff... and speaking of that Spencer still has 2 full army lists of English Civil War figures he's painted for some Pike and Shotte.

To add to that Warlord Games trifecta I just played my first Bolt Action game Sunday and have already anted up and ordered some books. I'm looking at playing Finns as it's in my blood and coincides with my real-life interests.


This last weekend was another monthly Historical Wargames Day. Jesse introduced me to "hex and chit" game Command and Colors - Napoleonic version. I had a lot of fun playing that and am now discovering that rabbit hole! haha!

Enfilade is in about 7 weeks. I'm registered and paid for, as is my hotel room. Looking forward to the Saga tournament. I'm also looking forward to the "War of the Worlds" game Sven Lugar is hosting. The scenario is Portland Oregon is a Martian base and is launching an attack on Vancouver Washington. My interest piqued! I hope to get in a new game or 3 and have some stuff I'm selling at the bring and buy*.

*including some good 54mm minis, 10 25mm vikings, and some Pathfinder books.

Was talking to Spencer yesterday and both of us realized neither of us had a pressing paint job to get done on our benches currently. I decided to take a week off from painting! NExt week I'll start up on finishing my Norman mounted lights and, maybe, start some 25mm Finnish for Bolt Action... we'll see. Don't get me wrong though, I can easily create a deadline for myself.

Went and did some shooting at one of the open/public ranges a few weeks ago with Don and Allen. Not to be confused with my friend and shipmate Don Allen. It rained hard on us but it's good to practice in the rain. If you're going to own guns you should be proficient with them. Going out again next weekend for more time on my Glock 19.



Did I mention I also have a garden to tend now? Phew.




No comments:

Post a Comment