Thursday, October 16, 2014

Saga: Viking Levy, Savage Worlds: Beasts and Barbarians

Finished my new Viking Levy (archers) last weekend. I already had some but they were painted poorly by me and so I'm passing them on to another player who does not paint at all but would like to build a Viking Faction for the game.

 

These minis are Old Glory 25mm Bondi Archer line. I pulled all the ones not wearing helmets (most of them) and speed painted 12 of them. My ever-evolving speed painting process for these:
1) Based with a Renedra plastic 25mm base.
2) Flocked base in sand.
3) Base coat whole thing in Army Painter Leather Brown.
4) Painted flesh, hair, clothing, bows - in that order.
5) Quickshade with Army Painter Strong tone (their "medium"). Brushed on.
6) Grassed up the bases.
7) 2 coats spray matte varnish to dull and protect.*

*It was about the last day this year of decent spray matte varnish weather, 70 degrees, no wind, low humidity. Time to bust out the brush-on stuff.

Old Glory 25mm Bondi Archers

Old Glory 
I have grown to like the Old Glory sculpts. They always look better after a paint job and some shading. Of all the minis I have got this year from them I was a bit disappointed by the sculpts for these but changed my mind after I painted them. For the price, 30 miniatures for $29 or so (Old Glory Army discount) I'm doing all right here. Well on my way to an unpainted lead mountain and my Grognard card!

Some day I'll color-up or fancy paint some figs but I like to get them on the table as soon as possible.

Speaking of fancy painting - got the minis for my up-coming Savage Worlds - Beasts and Barbarians game. It's Conan-esque, low magic and high adventure!! My wife's character concept is the barbarian warrior type where as my concept is of an Iron Legionnaire from the "Roman-falling" analog of the campaign world who has lost his Legion, his noble status... and his name. 

I did some pretty heavy mods, by my standards, to both:
"Legion" (as I am calling him now - I plan for him to earn a new name in game)
Modified sword arm to hold spear as pictured.
Modified legs to create more of a dynamic "lunge" look.
Removed javelins from shield hand.
Cut off molded base and rebased on a resin rocky base.

As of yet unnamed barbarian warrior:
Just had to rebase her.

Based, primed in Army Painter Wolf Grey. flesh tones applied. I used Zap-a-Gap to glue them to the resin bases. Took some holding them on but only about a minute. I will be using some color-up methods on these.

I'm getting ready for Historical Wargame Day at Guardian this Sunday, I hope you have some gaming planned too. Good luck, roll well.

Clickity Clackity son!

1 comment:

  1. Great looking bowmen, Gabe. Nice gesture giving your previously painted figures to a fellow gamer too.

    ReplyDelete