Friday, April 11, 2014

Workbench and urban garden

Sorry for the lack of blogging since my vacation. I've no active projects right now on my minis bench, not that I don't have anything to do. I'm just taking a break as the weather gets better and I can field a good army in either of the wargames I play.

It's spring, trees are sending out pollen to make baby trees, the sun shines more than not right now, I've got a garden going, and I've got an itch to do both kinds of camping I like to do - car and bushcraft. I just got my REI dividend (a bit more than $35) and I am in a weird quandary in that the things I want are at a range in price that are out of my immediate financial ability and the things I NEED are had and all in good working order.

One thing I am contemplating is getting a pre-built workbench at Home Depot and setting it up outside my apartment door. It'll give me a place to do more serious work like cutting lumber and plant potting and such. Also, I can set up our grill next  to it and the bench can also be a counter. Just some plans for this family guy tight on space.


It is outdoors and it does rain something fierce at times on top of the fact that the apartment has bad gutters and will fill up and drain right on the walkway, so I'm looking for a good coating to put on the bench to weatherize it some. If I waited for the gutters to get fixed (over a year now) I'd just never get this thing done. So fuck it, I'm going live.

As mentioned, I have a small urban garden. I picked up some City Picker planters from HD last month and me and my daughter got them all set up. We're growing all kinds of lettuce, snap peas and radishes, and some herbs like basil, chives, and some arugula. I have extra seeds so plan to get more planters going maybe. We also planted a little hanger pot with some flowers in it hoping that it attracts some lady bugs. The area we have to put planters is, at best, dappled sunlight from sunrise to 12 noon.


The cool thing about the planters is that they use SIP or submerged irrigated planter technique. In a nutshell there is a water reservoir at the bottom, you fill it, water is wicked to roots via the growing medium. Pretty cool stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment