Friday, March 7, 2014

Pathfinder - new mini for one of my characters

I received that "horse archer" mini (Reaper - Derek the Tall mounted) from Noble Knight Games last Friday. Had a weekend to stew it over. Came up with a plan. Now it's almost done and will be ready for the table on Sunday.

I really debated on straying from my rule of speed painting for war games, old-fashioned painting for single/character types. I hemmed back and forth the whole time. When I got the base coats on and dry I was all, "Hmmm... this will be done real quick if I just dip it now..."

I trudged through it though and am happy. Not all done yet but the painting aspect is pretty much done. All I have left is a gloss coat, a matte finish to dull it up, and some flock on the base... oh, and gluing the guy on the horse. I did not take a ton of pictures of the process but here's what I have:


Primed - rider in Army Painter "plate armor" and horse in AP "leather brown".
Built up my base coats, dark flesh-tone for rider, black for horse.
Linen white for rider's shirt sleeves, some grey and green for horse's tack and such.
Black hair and painted on a beard of rider. Brown for pants and bronze for greaves. I then decided I wanted him to have a "blood red" color for pants and a darker shade of red for boots after looking at some pictures of Scythians for inspiration. 


Balder, the character being depicted by this mini, is a human paladin. His god is Erastil, god of hunting, law, rural life, family, farming. His followers follow a simple life and wear clothes to depict such. Not a lot of flash or jewelry, the make of the clothing is the important part. I would try to depict this in the mini by not having trims or decoration on the clothing. Too bad 50% of the minis is a breast plate and chain mail.

This is when I was re-thinking my rule. I could be done with it with a quick dip. NOPE! I marched on.

I laid down a few layers of ink, Army Painter dark tone on the armor, strong tone on the skin. I then cut off the bow as it was rather plain looking and added a new bow, some elven looking thing I had in stock, and was pleased with my pinning work. 

Next I did some dry-brushing on the armor and highlights on the flesh, silver and "pink flesh" to be exact. I don't paint eyes anymore, it's just too hard and I screw it up more than not now. I just darkened them in some. I then added some highlights on the armor and greaves. Oh, and dry-brushed some brown into the hair.

Now... here is the thing. I've never done a black horse before. I could not find any tutorials on how to highlight a black horse. So I didn't do it. I'll have to ask one of my better painter friends how to do that at some time.

Where I am at now:

Tonight I flock the base and add a protective gloss coat via Vallejo acrylic gloss. Saturday I give it a coat of dull matte and glue the 2 pieces together... or maybe figure a way to add a pin to the horse so the rider is removable?? Hmmmnnnn.

No comments:

Post a Comment